After the popularity of my grain free cholent recipe, I got many requests for a version without red meat and I just couldn’t say no! I was worried about the turkey drying out since a cholent needs to cook for at least 12 hours but using a whole turkey roast made all the difference. This cholent is as rich as a traditional cholent, without the beans and barley of course! This specific recipe does not have onions and potatoes but you can certainly add them if you want.
Grain Free Turkey Cholent
- 3 lb. white meat turkey roast
- 2–3 cups cubed kabocha squash
- 2–3 cups cubed turnips (can also add parsnips)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 qt. low sodium chicken or turkey broth
- Place kabocha squash, turnips and parsnips in the bottom of a slow cooker. Top with the whole turkey roast in the net.
- Combine all of the spices in a small mixing bowl and rub all over the turkey roast.
- Pour the low sodium broth over the turkey and vegetables, cover the slow cooker and cook on low for at least 12 hours.
- When the cholent is ready, cut off the netting and shred the whole turkey. Stir together with the vegetables and serve.
- This turkey cholent can be made before Shabbat and served for lunch the following day.
- Take Shape For Life: Makes 5 servings, Per serving 1 Leaner protein, 1 ½ vegetable serving, 3 condiments