So BEYOND excited to have this guest post from Melissa (Lil’ Miss Cakes) on my blog today!!! Melissa mentions below that we met through food blogging but I actually remember learning who Melissa was through her sister-in-law many years ago. She was raving about how Melissa made the most incredible cakes and I just HAD to meet her. Well it’s a good thing I did, right?!? Melissa is an insanely talented pastry chef and she posts tons of her massive (and very very beautiful) cakes on her blog so we can all dream of being just like her. Melissa also makes cookies…lots of cookies! So when you see a cookie recipe made by Lil’ Miss Cakes, you should just go ahead and make it. And by that, I mean that you should be making these Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies asap!
Hi, I’m Melissa aka Lil’ Miss Cakes. You can usually find me sharing delicious and easy desserts on my blog lilmisscakes.com or sharing gorgeous cakes and cookies on instagram. I also design and sell custom cookies cutters using my creativity and my 3D printer. Melinda and I met through food blogging and became instant friends. Her blog is gorgeous and the recipe she shares are always delicious and inventive. I love the way she thinks about food, always keeping things fresh and exciting. I also love that she shares healthy recipes but realizes that sometimes a little indulgence is necessary. So thank you Melinda for having me! I’m so excited to be here sharing a guest post with you.
With school back in session, summer is unofficially over. The days are getting shorter and the weather getting cooler. It’s definitely time to transition into cozy sweaters and comfort food. Oatmeal cookies are a classic fall cookie, with the crunchy oats and spicy cinnamon, there really is nothing I like more. To give these cookies a little more of an autumnal feel I added some fresh diced apples. These cookies are sweet and satisfying. The edges are crispy but the centers are nice and chewy. The apples are a nice surprise and add a pop of freshness. Best of all, my recipe is dairy-free!
Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies
- Yield: 3 1x
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 apple, peeled and finely diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Measure the oats then place them into a food processor and pulse until finely ground, about 10-15 seconds. Set aside
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the oil and sugars until combined. Add in the eggs and vanilla and beat until all the ingredients are blended.
- Add in the ground oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix on low until the cookie dough is combined. Peel the apple and dice into tiny cubes. I like to use a vegetable chopper like a chop wizard. Measure one cup of apple and fold into the cookie dough.
- Using a medium sized cookie scoop (I like the OXO brand) scoop 1.5 Tablespoon size scoops of cookie dough onto prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the edges are lightly browned. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!