Sometimes a recipe needs no introduction…or maybe I’m just lazy and want to share this delicious pumpkin bread with sweet date swirl without an intro…or maybe you saw my recipe in Gourmet Glatt‘s Market to Table Holiday Magazine already…either way, it’s here and you should really make this recipe! Yeah!
PS. this pumpkin bread freezes very well so double the recipe, wrap the extra bread in parchment paper and foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
Pumpkin Date Swirl Bread
- 1 cup pitted dates
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and coat a 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray or oil.
- Combine pitted dates and boiling water in a heatproof bowl and set aside so the dates can steep in the water for 10 minutes. With a fork, blend the steeped dates with the hot water until a thick paste forms.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and cloves.
- Add the canned pumpkin puree, oil, honey and eggs and blend the mixture until smooth.
- Pour a third of the pumpkin bread batter into the prepared loaf pan then add half of the date paste and swirl lightly into the batter. Pour another third of the batter in, add the remaining date paste and swirl it into the batter once again. Top with the remaining batter and bake the pumpkin bread for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack then slice and serve.