Ah, that moment you rip through a mozzarella stick and the cheese comes ooooozing out. Usually the crust is some kind of crunchy fried breading that is dripping with delicious oil and you just know you are getting a special treat. Reminds me of my college days eating insanely good mozzarella sticks after bar hopping (yes, I used to party!) until 2 am. But today we are talking about something a little different….different in a very good way. Not only did I BAKE the mozzarella sticks for this recipe but these part-skim mozzarella cheese sticks from Les Petites Fermieres are covered in falafel batter! YES, I said falafel batter. Healthy, flavorful, easy and fresh! Now I have to warn you, just like any other baked mozzarella stick, there is a chance that the cheese will oooooze (I like saying ooze with lost of o’s) through the falafel batter while they bake but I’ve done everything in my power to prevent that. And hey, if a little cheese gets out, it’s just gonna get all toasty and delicious anyways, right?!?
The falafel batter is as easy as throwing all ingredients in food processor and blending until smooth. Boom! Done! If you don’t eat dairy, just make falafel patties instead of cheese sticks. This falafel recipe can even be eaten raw with some carrots. Just dip and devour.
I served my falafel mozzarella sticks with a homemade tomato tahini sauce. We’ve got the tahini for the falafel and the tomatoes for the mozzarella. If you don’t think the combo will work, just try it and you’ll see that this sauce is bomb!
- 1 16 oz. can chickpeas (around 1 1/2 cups) drained and rinsed
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 4-5 mozzarella sticks, cut in half
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes (around 15 tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup tahini paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Freeze mozzarella sticks in an airtight container overnight, or for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray the parchment with cooking spray or drizzle with a bit of olive oil to coat.
- Blend all falafel ingredients, except for the mozzarella, in a food processor until very smooth.
- Remove mozzarella sticks from the freezer and using your hands, cover each piece of cheese with around 1/4 cup of the falafel mix. Make sure the cheese is completely covered and place the sticks on the parchment lined baking sheet. Spray the tops of the falafel sticks with cooking spray or drizzle with a bite more olive oil to create a nice brown top on the sticks and to seal in the cheese.
- Bake the falafel mozzarella sticks for 15 minutes then remove from the oven, carefully flip with a spatula and cook for another 10 minutes. Some of the cheese might ooze out but that’s okay! That cheese will toast up and it’s great for snacking.
- Blend all ingredients in high speed blender and serve with falafel mozzarella sticks.