Old Fashioned Buttermilk Chess Pie
From the kitchen of deepsouthdish.com
10 minsPrep Time
35 minsCook Time
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup of butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, whisked
- Zest from one lemon
- Juice of 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 unbaked pie shell (you can use homemade if you want)
- Homemade whipped cream, for garnish
- Freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish
- Prebake the pie shell according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together the sugar, cornmeal, flour and salt.
- Add the butter, buttermilk, and vanilla and whisk
- Add eggs and whisk.
- Stir in lemon zest and juice.
- Pour mixture into the prebaked pie shell.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and set. Check on your pie after 20 minutes and if the crust is getting very dark, cover the edges with foil to prevent overbrowning.
- Let the pie cool completely on a rack before cutting to give it a chance to set.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a grating of fresh nutmeg on top.