It’s apricot season now (hello July) and that means you’re going to get the most amazing juicy sweet apricots at your local grocers now!!! And FYI, size does matter so go for the smaller apricots because they are definitely more flavorful and less tart than the larger ones. I bought a huge bag of apricots the minute I saw them at the store and knew right away that a cake would be in my very near future. Sweet almond cake topped with mouth-watering slightly tart apricots just sounds good, doesn’t it?!?
Just look at those apricots!!! Fuzzy little guys.
That layer of sugar and cinnamon caramelizes on top of the apricots and that makes everything right in the world.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 10-12 fresh apricots
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. and line a square pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar and oil until combined. Add the eggs and almond extract and mix again.
- Separately, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the batter and mix until thick and smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it out with a spatula until even.
- Slice the apricots in half and remove the pits. Layer them, skin side down, on top of the batter.
- Stir together the sugar and cinnamon and pour over the apricots.
- Place the pan on a baking sheet (in case any batter spills over while it bakes) and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is browning and the cake tester comes out clean. Slice and enjoy warm or room temperature.