So many leftover avocados in the house!! Why?? Sometimes you buy the Costco size package of avocados and sometimes you forget that you bought them and then they get very very ripe and your kids don’t like them too mushy so you wonder what to do with them…sound familiar at all? Do you freeze them (yup, you can freeze avocados), turn them into guacamole or maybe even turn them into ice cream? Yup, ice cream!
Super easy ice cream custard made in a blender- no milk, no cream, no eggs and no sugar! You could actually eat the custard right out of the blender. Creamy, sweet and oh so healthy.
You know you want some of this!
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup coconut cream (the thick cream that forms at the top of a can of full-fat coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup honey (if you like your desserts on the sweeter side, add extra honey to taste)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Remove the pits from the avocados (discard the pits), separate the thick cream from the top of the can of full-fat coconut milk (drink or discard the water at the bottom) and blend all ingredients together in a high speed blender or food processor. A tip for the coconut cream: place the can of coconut milk in the fridge upside down for 4-6 hours before using it and the cream will solidify, leaving the water at the top of the can. I always keep a can of coconut milk in my fridge so it’s ready to use when I need it.
- Pour the creamy avocado mixture into a ice cream maker and follow the directions to freeze the ice cream. The ice cream should churn for 12-15 minutes then add the chocolate chips and churn for 2 more minutes, until the chips are incorporated.
- Serve the ice cream right out of the ice cream maker for a frozen yogurt texture or freeze in an airtight container for 4-5 hours to harden.
- Scoop out and enjoy!