My favorite tip for moist cooked chicken breast: mayonnaise! I used to dip my chicken in eggs before coating in crumbs but mayo takes it to a whole new level. For this recipe, I coat the chicken in a mixture of almond flour and flax seeds instead of bread crumbs. It adds tons of flavor without the added carbs and everyone in my family loves it. To be honest, I don’t even tell them that I’ve replaced the crumbs with almond flour and flax and they seriously don’t even question me.
To add an extra layer to this chicken (you can just coat plain white or dark meat chicken in the mayo and crumbs), I stuffed each piece of chicken breast with sautéed onions, spinach and golden raisins. Each piece of chicken is an entire meal!
I love that chicken breast cooks for less time so dinner is ready quicker! And I always make extra so I have leftovers for lunch the next day.
I served my kids dinner with a nice portion of fresh cucumbers from my garden and pesto pasta with cherry tomatoes (also from my garden). You can really just eat the chicken on it’s own since it’s already stuffed with spinach and onions.
- 6-8 thin sliced chicken breasts
- 32 oz. bag frozen spinach, defrosted and drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup golden raisins, optional
- 8 oz. mayonnaise
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. and prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray or oil.
- Heat the oil in a large shallow pan over medium heat. Add the onions to the pan and cook for 10 minutes, until translucent. Add the spinach and spices to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and raising and cook for 5 more minutes, until the chicken stock has reduced and the raisins are plump. Set the spinach aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, flax seeds and spices and set aside.
- Pour the mayonnaise over the chicken breast and rub the mayo all over the chicken until it is fully covered.
- One by one, lay out a chicken breast so it is flat, fill the entire inside with the spinach mixture, fold it in half and dip it in the almond flour breading. Place the chicken on the baking sheet and repeat with the other chicken breasts.
- Bake the chicken for 45 minutes, until the breading has browned and the chicken is cooked through.
- Let cool slightly then enjoy. This chicken reheats very well so make extra for leftovers!