I am officially addicted to this gluten free, grain free, dairy free Cashew Bread from Elana’s Pantry. If you follow me on Instagram (you definitely should be, right?!?), you’ve probably already noticed that I eat this cashew bread all the time and use it for everything from French toast and grilled cheese to a fresh and crunchy panzanella salad. So I thought it would be fun to try using this wonderful gluten free bread to make a crostini and see if the bread would stay crunchy, like crostini bread should be. I am happy to say that as long as you toast the bread, it will keep it’s texture and you can top it with whatever inspires you. Since my summer garden is what has been inspiring me lately, I decided to top my toasted gluten free cashew bread with the beautiful fresh tomatoes and basil that are growing like weeds!
If you’ve never roasted tomatoes with honey before, you MUST give it a try! I also drizzled my fresh tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper so they wouldn’t be too sweet.
Assembly time!!! I spread the sweet and savory ricotta mixture on the toasted gluten free bread, topped with a few honey roasted tomatoes, drizzle with more honey and sprinkled with lemon zest and fresh chopped basil.
You can serve these crostini with or without the tomatoes…they taste amazing now matter how you assemble them. And hey, go a little crazy and add some apricot jam or fresh mint. Whatever floats your boat.
- 1 cup cashew butter
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1 lb. cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- a sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (full fat or low fat)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, pulse together cashew butter and eggs until very smooth. Pulse in apple cider vinegar and honey. Pulse in baking soda and salt.
- Transfer batter to an 8 x 4 inch baking dish and bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool for 2 hours.
- Refrigerate the bread in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice each tomato and half and place on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and honey and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30 minutes then set aside to cool.
- Stir the cheese together with honey, lemon zest and salt then carefully fold in the fresh basil.
- Toast the cashew bread until dark and crunchy. Spread on the honey basil ricotta and top with 2-3 honey roasted tomatoes.
- Drizzle the crostini with extra honey and sprinkle with lemon zest and fresh basil.