I am so excited about this months Kosher Connection link-up! Last month, I posted my Iced Cappuccino Baked Alaska for the frozen dessert link-up and this month, we are tackling grilled food. Perfect for the end of summer! Normally, my husband does all the grilling at our house and he is very good at what he does. That man can make the perfect rare steak! So with this challenge upon me, I knew immediately that I would be making something on the maple plank I received from my friend, Shelley, over at The Kosher Home. Would you say no if someone offered you a grilling plank? I think not! Since I’ve always wanted to barbecue salmon on my grill, this felt like the right time to do it. So while I relax in paradise for the next few days, I hope you enjoy my maple plank grilled salmon!
Maple Plank Grilled Salmon
2 salmon fillets
2 maple planks
2 bunches of green onions
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ancho chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cumin
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
2 Tbsp honey mustard
I soaked the maple planks in water for 3 hours. If you are in a time crunch, 30 minutes of soaking will be just fine!
I preheated the grill to 250 degrees then returned to the salmon. I mixed together the paprika, ancho chili powder, salt, brown sugar and cumin. I rubbed the spices all over the top of the salmon.
I mixed together the pure maple syrup and honey mustard then slathered that all over the salmon, right on top of the spice rub! I set the salmon aside.
I placed the soaked maple planks on the hot grill then closed the lid for 3 minutes. I turned the planks over and let them heat up for 3 more minutes. When I opened the li, the maple scent of the plank filled the air and I just closed my eyes to soak it all in! I placed the green onions on the planks then placed the salmon right on top.
I closed the lid and cooked the salmon for 20 minutes. If you have smaller pieces of salmon, you can cook for closer to 15 minutes.
There is just nothing bad I can say about grilling a delicious piece of wild salmon from the Northwest on a sweet maple plank! It’s incredible how grilling not only makes the food taste good but it fills the air with the quintessential scent of summer! The salmon was sweet from the maple syrup and mustard and spicy from the rub. And I’m guessing that wonderful maple plank ensured a perfect flakey piece of salmon.
- 2 salmon fillets
- 2 maple planks
- 2 bunches of green onions
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp honey mustard
- Soak the maple planks in water for 3 hours. If you are in a time crunch, 30 minutes of soaking will be just fine!
- Preheat the grill to 350 degrees then return to the salmon: mix together the paprika, ancho chili powder, salt, brown sugar, and cumin. Rub on salmon.
- Mix together the pure maple syrup and honey mustard then slather that all over the salmon, right on top of the spice rub! Set the salmon aside.
- Place the soaked maple planks on the hot grill then close the lid for 3 minutes. Turn the planks over and let them heat up for 3 more minutes. Place the green onions on the planks then place the salmon right on top.
- Close the lid and cook the salmon for 20 minutes. If you have smaller pieces of salmon, you can cook for closer to 15 minutes. Done!